Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Caesar Salad Dressing and Croutons

I will never get through my soup recipe queue.  'Winter' in Houston feels more like salads than hearty soups.  It would be nicer to grill right now than it would be in the summer.  I have even been preferring white wine over red...and I love red!


I have a love/hate relationship with Caesar salads.  I always order them and am always disappointed. I know exactly what I want, I just can't find.  I want extra anchovies and all the croutons. Like a reasonable amount of croutons...but doubled. So I made it. 


P.S. The dressing was even better and thicker the next day but the croutons were best the day of.

The Dressing
Adapted from shutterbean
Mix:
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, pounded
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons anchovies, chopped - Start with 1 then add more if you want.
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 egg yolk
Add:
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper
Mix the above ingredients in a small bowl with an immersion blender.  Add the Parmesan cheese while still blending. Salt and pepper to taste.

The Croutons (updated 10/8/16)
  • half a loaf of old french bread
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Cube the bread and layer on a baking sheet.

Mix the olive oil, melted butter, and garlic together. Drizzle over the bread cubes and toss.  Sprinkle salt and Italian seasoning over the cubes and toss again.

Bake for 15 minutes, stir, then bake for another 5 minutes until croutons are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment