Pages

Friday, July 8, 2016

Indecisive

I could spend 10 minutes in the toothpaste aisle deciding what toothpaste best fits my needs.  Huggies alone makes 8 different kinds of diapers- which one would a good mom buy.  Don't get behind me while I'm trying to pick apples. I know I like honeycrisp, but dang, so expensive! I have so much to do today but don't even know where to start, so I get lost in instagram. 

The number of decisions I can make in a day are limited and wasting them on inconsequential choices is tiring. Unfortunately the only person more indecisive than me is Steven, followed closely by Henry.  So here is how I cope: 

Make the decision once. 
After price-checking and taste-testing for years the apple of our home is officially the Pink Lady. I buy it in bulk at costco so I don't even have to choose the individual apples. It's a middle-priced apple but always good quality. Our Costco price is usually cheaper than a regular grocery store. Done and done.  

I also started to use Amazon subscribe and save for diapers and wipes. The same brand and fit  come on a monthly schedule. After price checking, its usually cheaper than store.  I am not getting the best deal 100% of the time, but now I can stop thinking about it.

Buy in bulk.
Buying in bulk means making the decision 1/12 as many times!

Go with the cheapest.
If you can't tell a difference and don't have a favorite then grab the cheapest (by ounce or count) that you can find. 

Eliminate the bad choices.
I just took every item of clothing that didn't fit out of my dresser, yelled KON MARIE, and threw them away stored them away in my closet until I fit in normal people clothes again.  I split the clothes that fit into working out/nothing to do and nicer clothes, then put them back in the dresser.  Every morning I can literally wear the first thing in a stack by knowing that day's plans. The decision is made by whatever is on top.  When I am putting laundry away all the clean clothes go to the bottom of the pile so I'm not wearing the same things over and over.  My dresser is oh-so-tidy and it takes a minute to get dressed.

Have a system.
The question "What do you want for dinner this week?" is met with blank stares 110% of the time. Our dinners are decided by the next meals on my pinterest boards which are divided into the different proteins, vegetarian, pizza/pasta, ect. If it doesn't look good enough to eat that week or looks too hard then it gets cut from the board all together. It also gets cut once it gets made, so the recipe furthest down is the one that we eat that week unless I have a special hankerin'.

Roll a die.
When indecisiveness turns into procrastination. Have a lot to do but want to do exactly zero of it? Write it down as a numbered list then and roll a die. Whatever it lands on, that's what you are going to do. Those are the rules.  If you don't have a die then google "roll a die". If you have a weird number of items use: http://www.roll-dice-online.com/.  Let the gods decide this one.

Happy deciding!

No comments:

Post a Comment